are-orbeez-toxic-to-dogs

You may be wondering if your dog can safely play with Orbeez if you have one at home. Or, if consumed, they may be harmful to one’s health.

Personally, as a dog owner, I can see why orbeez would be irresistible to canines. The bright colors and soft texture make them fun to pop or whack around.

Can Dogs Get Sick From Orbeez?

It’s true that feeding Orbeez to a dog can have negative consequences. The tiny colored balls are a choking hazard and may contain chemicals that are toxic to dogs if ingested. So, you should not let your dog play with or eat Orbeez.

Risks Associated with Orbeez for Dogs

Orbeez may be safe for humans to play with, but they pose a hazard to dogs if they swallow them. The most serious threats include the following:

risks-associated-with-orbeez-for-dogs

A Potential Choking Risk

The first risk is that the uninflated orbeez could become a choking hazard.

The beads are extremely tiny when removed from their packaging and dried; their diameter is typically between 3 and 5 millimeters. A larger dog probably won’t have any problems if they accidentally eat a few dry beads. But if a large quantity is consumed, it may cause choking, especially in smaller dogs.

Even after being soaked and inflated, orbeez still pose a choking hazard. If swallowed, their gummy gel texture will help them glide smoothly down your esophagus. In fact, the risk of obstruction only rises as the size of the intestines grows.

It is important to keep orbeez, in either their dry or expanded forms, out of the reach of dogs. They can be used for sensory play while your dog is on a leash, but only under close supervision.

Intestinal Obstruction

Orbeez present a hazard of intestinal obstruction or blockage in dogs if swallowed in large quantities, which is similar to the risk of choking.

Once swallowed, the slippery gel beads can clump together and form a mass that is too big to pass through the intestines. This can cause a dangerous clog.

Intestinal blockage manifests with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and fatigue.

Be very careful to keep orbeez away from your dog, as even a small number of beads swallowed can expand and cause obstructions.

Poisonous Substances

Brands of water beads have also come under fire for allegations that they contain harmful substances. Boron or borate salts are added during production of certain varieties of orbeez.

Toxic levels of boron in the diet can make a dog sick with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms. Some brands’ use of photocatalysts has raised safety concerns, too.

Always verify the orbeez brand and look for non-toxic options marketed toward kids and pets. Avoid buying generic Chinese products because of their questionable chemical composition.

Related Article: What Happens If A Cat Eats Orbeez?

An allergic reaction

an-allergic-reaction

Finally, some dogs may have an allergic reaction to the orbeez because they contain chemicals like dyes, perfumes, and other additives.

Dogs with chemical sensitivities may experience skin irritation, itching, wheezing, and stomach upset.

Again, the degree of danger varies with each product’s brand and chemical make-up. Instead, choose hypoallergenic, non-toxic alternatives.

It’s clear that there are risks involved when dogs play with those bright orbeez. Precaution is the name of the game.

How to Keep Your Dog Safe from Orbeez?

Given the dangers, how can you keep orbeez in your house with your dogs? Please consider these suggestions:

Don’t Let The Kids Get To The Orbeez

To begin, keep all toys and items that may contain orbeez safely out of your dog’s reach when they are not in use. Lock up any bags or storage containers in a cabinet they can’t get into.

Children should put away their orbeez when they are finished playing with them. There should never be a stray bead or water bead lying around. Make sure to keep the lids on any toy storage containers. To keep your dog from destroying your collection of orbeez, you should keep a close eye on any playtime that involves them.

Do not play with Orbeez toys near dogs.

To avoid injury, stay away from trendy orbeez crafts and foot spas when dogs are running free. There is an excessive ease of access to the beads.

Carefully dispose of any expanded orbeez after use for crafts, rather than leaving them in open containers or bowls where dogs can get to them. Get rid of any remaining beads by rinsing.

Using Orbeez with Dogs Without Endangering Them

  • There are some alternatives to orbeez that are safer if you have a dog that likes to investigate new things. What about these?
  • Play with orbeez instead of a bag of beads. Toy animals that contain orbeez, for instance, can be safely played with by your dog as long as you keep an eye on them.
  • If you plan on using expanded orbeez as part of a sensory bin for your dog, make sure you give them a good washing first. By doing so, we can ensure that no harmful chemicals are left over after production.
  • Choose dog-friendly orbeez toys, such as those made by Petoozie. These don’t include any allergen-inducing additives like perfumes or dyes.
  • Select brands of water beads that are natural, non-toxic, and do not pose a choking hazard. Polymers used in medicine or ones made from cellulose.
  • Teach children how to properly close their sensory bins after playtime is over to prevent dogs from getting in.

With the right safety measures in place, you can feel good about giving your kids orbeez without worrying about the well-being of your family dog.

FAQS

Are Orbeez safe for dogs to eat?

No, dogs should not eat Orbeez. The beads can cause choking, blockages, or toxicity if ingested. Always supervise dogs around Orbeez and store them out of reach.

What happens if a dog eats Orbeez?

Eating Orbeez can potentially be life-threatening for dogs. The beads may cause choking, intestinal blockage, vomiting, or allergic reactions. Call your vet immediately if your dog ingests Orbeez.

Can Orbeez kill a dog?

Yes, it’s possible for Orbeez to kill a dog if a large amount is ingested. The biggest risks are choking or fatal intestinal blockages. Toxic chemicals in some Orbeez could also potentially be fatal.

How do I get my dog to stop eating Orbeez?

Keep Orbeez securely out of your dog’s reach by storing them in closed containers in cupboards. Supervise anytime Orbeez are used around your dog. Provide dog-safe chew toys to deter them from eating Orbeez.

What does a dog allergy to Orbeez look like?

Allergic reactions to Orbeez may include skin irritation, itching, wheezing, vomiting, or diarrhea. Discontinue use and call your vet if your dog has an allergic response.

Can dogs play with Water Beads?

Dogs should only play with Water Beads under close supervision. Rinse the beads thoroughly first and avoid small beads that could cause choking. Better yet, opt for a pet-safe Water Bead alternative.

Are Water Beads bad for dogs?

Yes, Water Beads pose many of the same risks as Orbeez if dogs ingest them – potential choking, blockages, or toxicity. Dogs should not have unsupervised access to Water Beads.

What if my dog ate Aqua Dots?

Call your vet right away if your dog eats Aqua Dots, which can cause choking just like Orbeez. Look out for signs of blockage or allergic reaction and follow your vet’s treatment recommendations.

Key Takeaways on Orbeez Safety for Dogs:

Here are the most important takeaways from the discussion:

  • Due to their small size and chemical composition, Orbeez can cause choking, intestinal blockage, toxicity, and allergies in dogs.
  • Keep orbeez safely out of reach and monitor their use closely to prevent accidental access.
  • If your dog accidentally eats an orbeez, call your vet immediately so they can treat it before it chokes or develops an obstruction.
  • Dog-friendly orbeez products should be used for safe, supervised play, with the expanded beads being rinsed before use and disposed of in an appropriate manner.
  • The safety of dogs should always come first, but orbeez can be used if care is taken.

I hope this brief introduction to orbeez has helped clarify their purpose, the potential dangers they pose to dogs, and the precautions you can take to keep them in your home with pets.

Orbeez are a fun and squishy toy, but make sure to keep your pets safe by keeping them away from them. You can have a lot of fun with these absorbent gel balls if you’re careful. If you have any other inquiries, please let me know.

Read More:

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *